Becoming a patient care technician offers up a lot of career paths into the medical field. But, it also is a rewarding career path in itself. If you wish to become a patient care technician and take advantage of all possibilities that stem from there, the following article can help you understand such career better.
The Duties of a Patient Care Technician
Patient care technicians are valuable members of the healthcare team. They do not enroll in appropriate healthcare training programs in Hanover Park, Illinois for nothing. As a patient care technician, you will be fulfilling a number of duties which include the following:
- Taking note of important information related to the patients’ medical history and treatment
- Taking readings and monitoring vital signs along with reporting any changes that can affect patients’ health
- Setting up the medical equipment that the patients need and maintaining them
- Collecting blood and urine samples for analysis and monitoring of patient conditions
- Assisting patients with personal hygiene and performance of daily tasks
Workplaces for Patient Care Technicians
Patient care technicians can land jobs in different medical facilities. Some of them include:
- Doctor’s clinics
- Medical laboratories
- Nursing homes
- Rehabilitation centers
The Importance of Training
Due to the tasks that you are expected to do, healthcare training in Illinois is definitely a necessity and a requirement. Through training, you can acquire the right set of skills to fulfill these tasks. You will be studying important subject matters that include:
- Patient care skills
- Human anatomy and physiology
- Practical nursing and CNA skills
- Advanced laboratory skills
- Medical terminologies
- Administrative skills
You have to make sure that the training provider you are going with has the right curriculum to help you advance in your career. The provider must be reliable, experienced, and willing to assist you throughout your journey.
New Lake College offers a wide variety of healthcare training programs not only for those who wish to become patient care technicians but also those aspiring to work in the medical and healthcare fields. Check out our programs and enroll today!